Thursday, June 11, 2009

Here's a Religion I Could Get Behind


Last Sunday night I went to the famed 9:30 club yet again. This is one place in the city where faith and inspiration hit me the most. I guess this would be my church. I suppose every church needs to have a reverend/bishop/priest and right now that person would have to be Craig Finn, lead singer of The Hold Steady. When it comes to on stage antics not too many people put on a better show than front man Finn. I think the closest show man on stage might have to be the microphone twirling, scissor kicking, Budweiser pounding Bob Pollard.

The show had to be the best I have seen in DC and I think I've been to just about every show in the District and a few road trips for others. The set list was brilliant. It was a perfect mix of rockers, classics, shoe gazers and a cover. From starting out with Positive Jam, the inclusion of Hostile, Mass, the acoustic Citrus and the sweet Minutemen cover of History lesson - Part 2 this show was about as perfect as you could get.

Craig Finn is a lover of lyrics and he often weaves a story of sex, drugs, religion and rock and roll with recurring characters appearing across a multitude of songs and albums. He is admittedly heavily influenced by Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen and loves rap. He seems to have an obsession with certain topics and cities and none more than the Tampa, FL neighborhood of Ybor City. I've never even been to Ybor city and if it wasn't for Finn I'd probably never want to.

At $6 for a domestic and $7 for an Import/micro brew the shows need to be good. Luckily for all of us suckers willing to pay that price the sound system at the 9:30 club is top notch and the quality of musicians that roll into town is worth the price of admission. I'll leave you with the lyrics to my favorite song of the night.

Citrus - The Hold Steady


hey citrus hey liquor I love it when when you touch each other hey whiskey hey ginger I come to you with rigid fingers.

i see judas in the hard eyes of the boys working the corners. i feel jesus in the clumsiness of young and awkward lovers.

hey barroom hey tavern I find hope in all the souls you gather. hey citrus hey liquor I love it when we come together.

I feel jesus in the clumsiness of young and awkward lovers. I feel judas in the long odds of the rackets on the corners. I feel jesus in the tenderness of honest nervous lovers. I feel judas in the pistols and the pagers that come with all the powders.

lost in fog and love and faithless fear. I've had kisses that make Judas seem sincere.

No comments:

Post a Comment